Student of the Year
The Student of the Year Award is dedicated to recognising the student who has shown director qualities in a project they have worked on in business, employment or academic capacity.
The Student of the Year Award presents a unique opportunity for student members to be recognised alongside IoD members and business leaders across the country. We hope that all student members will be keen to put themselves forward for this prestigious Award and take advantage of the development opportunities available.
An IoD judging panel will shortlist the best applicants to compete in a Dragons Den style panel at the Institute of Directors in Pall Mall.
Download our guide to the 2019 entry process
Click below to download
The entry process is refreshingly simple and is open to all.
The Application process
We are looking for students who have worked on an exciting and innovative project, which falls into one of the following three categories:
• Have founded or co-founded their own start-up
• Are successfully running and growing their own business
• Are in the early stages of starting up and putting a business plan into practice
Top tips for completing your application form:
1. Carefully review each question and try to give as much detail as possible in each answer. Avoid unnecessary detail, focus your answers on the exceptional aspects of your achievements. The word limits are not indicative of how much you must write and should only be used as a guide. However you must not exceed the maximum word count – quality precedes quantity.
2. Only a typed application form will be accepted and remember to save your progress as often as possible.
3. Finally, before submitting your application please ensure you check:
• Spelling and grammar
• You have answered all questions completely and to the best of your ability
• Your contact and personal details
• You have signed the terms and conditions
With a background in IT operations and project
management, Selamat is studying for a doctorate
in creative technology at Bournemouth University
with a specialisation in big-data analytics. This has
led her to come up with the idea for Data Denizens,
which aims to help SMEs across Europe by making
sense of their data for strategic decisions through a
three-step process: “direct, deploy and decode”.
Siti Aishah Mohd Selamat
PhD Researcher, UK Data Service Fellow,
Aspiring Entrepreneur DataDenizens.com
Winning The Institute of Director's Student Director of the Year Award 2017, was an amazing accomplishment for me. I was so grateful to receive recognition for my efforts after pouring countless hours into Pelico to transform it from start-up to £5K monthly revenue. Standing up and making a speech in front of a room of established leaders / executives before claiming my award was rich and fulfilling. I would advise any student entrepreneurs to pursue this opportunity to have your name recognised by a well-established network of business professionals."
Alex Gatehouse, Co-founder and CEO, Pelico